Up to 3 children aged under 5 can travel free, when accompanied by an adult. Child fares will be charged for any additional under 5s travelling.
Cash single, return and weekly tickets bought on the bus
Children aged 5-13 can buy single and return tickets at half the adult rate at all times (except on routes 231 & 233 where child fares cannot be purchased before 0900 on Mondays to Fridays except for journeys wholly between Langton and Tunbridge Wells). Discounted travel is available on weekly tickets.
14 and 15 year-olds travelling to or from school in uniform will be charged the half adult fare for single and return tickets. Discounted travel is available on weekly tickets.
14 and 15 year-olds may also pay the discounted rates at other times by showing one of the following forms of identification:
- Metrobus child key card - free from Crawley and Redhill travel shops by showing suitable photo ID. Valid until 31st August after 16th birthday and can also be loaded with tickets online or travel shops.
- 14/15 Citizencard. These are available here.
- Validate UK card. These are available here.
- Transport for London child Oyster card
- Birth certificate
- Brighton & Hove Bus ID card
- Arriva 14/15 ID card
Fare information for individual routes showing single and/or return fares are available here, scroll down to the relevant route and click on the 'timetable' link.
Child tickets on the key smartcard or mobile app
The period tickets are available from 60 minutes duration on the app, to annual on the key smart card. To view a full range of prices and periods click here
Child tickets on the key or mobile app can be used at all times by those aged 5-15.
- To apply for a child key smartcard, please visit Crawley or Redhill Travel Shops with suitable ID (see above list) – tickets can then either be bought online or at the travel shops. More information about the key can be found here
- For the mobile app download from either Google or the App Store. Tickets can be purchased immediately. ID needs to be shown to drivers when boarding the bus when using the app.
Discounts can also be dependent on where you live. Please check our guide below:
Under 19s living in East Sussex are able get a card which allows the purchase of a Freedom ticket from the driver on routes 270 & 291 for £17.50 per week, which is accepted for travel on most buses in East Sussex and on routes 270 & 291 (for journeys starting or finishing in East Sussex). 14-18 year olds need a 3i-D or Choice iD card to buy one and don't even need to be attending school or college.
11-16 year olds can apply for a Kent Young Person's Travel Pass which provides free travel on journeys starting and/or finishing in Kent on weekdays between 0600-1900, except in August. An application fee applies.